U.S. Oil & Refining Co. was organized in 1952 as a privately held corporation, then named Pacific Oil & Refining Co. The company was formed for purpose of building an oil refinery in the Pacific Northwest. In 1954, the refinery's present site in Tacoma, WA was purchased and in 1955 its name was changed to U.S. Oil & Refining Co.
Construction of the initial facility, a 5,000 barrel-per-stream-day ("BPSD") refinery, began during the summer of 1955. Construction was completed in mid 1957 and by the end of that year the refinery was in full operation. A second crude unit, capable of processing heavy crude oil, used in the manufacture of paving grade asphalt, became operational in 1959. Through a continuing series of modifications and upgrades, the refinery has reached its current configuration.
The refinery, with current crude capacity of 39,000 barrels per day, is strategically located on 139 acres in the deep-water Port of Tacoma, Washington. This includes 15 waterfront acres with 1,350 feet of waterfront on the Blair Waterway which provides direct access by ocean-going barges and tankers. Four pipelines, varying in size from 8 to 24 inches, connect the refinery and marine terminal. The refinery's products include gasoline, diesel and jet fuels, residual fuels and asphalt. The refinery has direct rail access and is close to both a major interstate highway system and the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
The refinery has storage capacity for approximately 1.4 million barrels of crude oil and 1.4 million barrels of refined petroleum products. Product distribution facilities include truck & trailer, marine and rail loading for fuels and asphalt in Tacoma, as well as, deliveries of jet fuels to the military via pipeline.
The Company has three operating divisions. These are Manufacturing, Commercial, and Finance and Accounting. Click here for more information regarding these divisions.